A FIRST CAR CLAIM. The first motor car to be imported into New Zealand is believed to be a Star car brought to Auckland in 1899 by Mr Arthur MARYCHURCH, now a resident of Coatesville, North Auckland. The car was bought from the Star Engineering Company, Wolverhampton, England, by Mr Marychurch in June, 1899 and was brought to Auckland by the steamer Whakatane, arriving in Auckland in September 1899. It was run in Auckland until December of that year, and was then taken to Christchurch by steamer. "I paid £l68 for the car new at the works, and was given the agency," said Mr Marychurch in an interview with "Focus," of the New Zealand Herald. "On my arrival back I gave the agency to Messrs Skeates and Boekaert, and they paid the freight and duty, amounting to £9O. That is how Skeates and Bockaert came to handle the car. "We thought that there would be a big crowd at Christchurch for the Christchurch jubilee, and a splendid chance to do some trade by taking the car there. On the voyage to Lyttelton, the vessel called at Wellington, and the car was taken ashore, as it was in the way on deck. Mr J. E. Skeates went ashore and asked the Wellington civic authorities if the car could be run in the streets of Wellington for the day. Permission was granted only on the condition that a man should go in front with a red flag. We had no trouble at Christchurch at all, and drove the car about the as we pleased without interference." The car was sold to Messrs Wardell Bros., of Christchurch, for £l3O. It was several weeks before any other car arrived at Christchurch. The first was a Benz, imported by Mr N. Oates, and advertised some time before its arrival as the first car due to arrive in New Zealand. The Star was capable of 20 m.p.h. on high gear and eight miles an hour on low. Built early in 1899, it was powered by a single-cylinder motor of 4 9-16in bore and stroke, with an open-fronted crankshaft with two driving pulleys for two speeds on the crankshaft. There was one fixed and two loose pulleys on the intermediate shaft, from which there was chain drive to the rear wheels. The design was similar to the Benz, with the exception of the carburettor, which was of a make still in use on stationary and marine engines. The car was equipped with wire wheels with pneumatic tyres, the front ones being smaller in diameter than the rear ones. OTAGO DAILY TIMES, ISSUE 22771, 6 JANUARY 1936


FATAL MOTOR-CAR ACCIDENT. A fatal motor-car accident happened at Timaru on Saturday afternoon. Mr and Mrs John MEIKLE were returning home from town in their car. Mrs Meikle, who was an expert driver, was as usual in charge of the vehicle. When descending a steep and narrow road on the side of a cutting, near the house, the car went over the bank and capsized. Mr Meikle was thrown out and had his right thigh broken. Mrs Meikle was pinned under the car, and suffocated by the weight on her chest. Some time elapsed before Mr Meikle could crawl within hearing of a maid servant at the house, and obtain assistance. Mrs Meikle was about 38 years of age. She leaves one child, a girl of four. Mr Meikle was widely known as a driver for Cobb and Company in the early days, and subsequently as the proprietor of the Grosvenor Hotel, Timaru. PRESS, VOLUME LXII, ISSUE 12594, 10 SEPTEMBER 1906

At an inquest held in Timaru yesterday, touching the death of Mrs Meikle, who was killed on Saturday night as the result of a motor-car accident, the jury returned a verdict of accidental death, due to the overturning of the car. Dr. Gabites, in his evidence, described the injuries and said that the symptoms all indicated that deceased died from suffocation. Mr Meikle had fractured his right thigh and was incapacitated from rendering any assistance. Mrs Meikle's death would ensue within from five to ten minutes from the time the car overturned. PRESS, VOLUME LXII, ISSUE 12595, 11 SEPTEMBER 1906

The accounts of the recent motor car accident near Timaru, in which Mrs John Meikle lost her life, disclose very distressing details. Mr and Mrs John Meikle usually drove to town in their motor car on Saturdays and on this occasion Mrs Meikle, who was considered expert and cool, was driving. They were returning to their home at Washdyke Valley, and were within the precincts of the farm when the accident happened. Between the public road and the house is a private road, part of which is a side cutting down a spur. This part of the road is both narrow and steep, and in going down the descent the car swerved towards the bank or upper side, and in correcting this Mrs Meikle turned the wheel a fraction too much, and they ran over the embankment. Along the foot of this runs a wire fence, and after scraping along the fence for some yards the car capsized over it into a ploughed paddock. Mr Meikle was thrown clear over the fence, but his wife fell under the motor and was pinned beneath the iron step. Mr Meikle heard her say, "Jack, I am dying," and nothing more. He was himself much bruised, and had his right thigh broken, and could do nothing to release his wife. He crawled along the road towards the house, calling for assistance, and the maid servant came to him. He sent her for a spade to try and dig under deceased to release her, but as she could not do any good he sent her for the ploughman, who pulled the car up with his horses. Three quarters of an hour must have elapsed by that time, and deceased on whose chest the step had pressed, causing suffocation, was quite dead when released. MANAWATU TIMES, VOLUME XXVIII, ISSUE 845, 17 SEPTEMBER 1906

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1906/5425 Meikle Janet 36Y

MARRIAGE. Meikle— Wright.— At Table Downs Farm, Levels, on July 10th, by the Rev J. M. Adcock, B.A., John MEIKLE to Janet WRIGHT. TIMARU HERALD, VOLUME LXIV, ISSUE 3312, 12 JULY 1900


A MOTOR-CAR ACCIDENT - ONE MAN KILLED. Shortly before one o'clock this morning a motor-car, with five young men as passengers, dashed into a nightssoil cart upon the Riccarton Road, about half a mile from the Hospital corner. The car was driven, by Mr William Thomas FELTON, who had with him Messrs George Tancred DE MONTALK, Thomas Allan Reid DENNISON, S. LIGHTBAND and Crosbie L SMITH, and at the time of the accident was travelling at about twenty-five miles per hour. De Montalk was seated in the front, and the pole of the cart struck him in the chest and knocked him on to the road. Medical help was immediately sent for, but he expired before any doctor could arrive. The cart was driven by Mr Charles Wellington INWOOD who states that he cannot account for the accident. The only explanation of the accident is that Felton alone was watching the road, and he, with the car running at a high speed, misjudged his distance in the shadows and crashed into the cart before he could discover or rectify his mistake. De Montalk was agent for Dexter and Crozier, an Auckland motor firm, and is very well known in motor circles. He was living with his brother in Barbados Street. The other young men were residents of Christchurch, Felton, Dennison and Smith being employed at Turnbull and Jones Limited, and Lightband as a mechanical engineer at Anderson's, Limited, Lyttelton. De Montalk's body was removed to the Morgue, where an inquest will be held at 4.30 this afternoon. Probably the inquest will be adjourned, as Mr T. W. Felton, the driver of the car, is still in the Hospital. An examination of the deceased's body has shown that the pole of the cart with which the car collided struck him over the heart. Death must have been practically instantaneous. STAR, ISSUE 8795, 5 DECEMBER 1906 [full names taken from inquest - STAR, ISSUE 8808, 21 DECEMBER 1906]

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1906/6962 de Montalk George Tancred 23Y


A terrible motor fatality occurred here last night. About ten o'clock Dr Herbert Clifford BARCLAY, making a trial run in a new car he got yesterday, took his young son and his driver out for a spin. Coming down the Mill Road, and near his home, he met a cart containing two men [Arthur BEST, 68 and Ben BATCHELOR, over 70] in the middle of the road. The cart had no lights. The car had lights, but Dr Barclay, who was driving, did not see the cart till he was right on it. He then swerved, but too late, and the shaft of the cart ripped through the glass hood of the car and pierced John O'CONNER [reported as O'Connor], the driver, near the heart. O'Conner died almost immediately. He was aged eighteen, and his parents reside at Studholme Junction. An inquest will be held to-day. STAR, ISSUE 8849, 8 FEBRUARY 1907

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1907/9663 Oconner John 18Y

[Per United Press Association.] WELLINGTON, May 3. An accident occurred on the Brooklyn section of the city tramways this evening, resulting in the death of Mrs BELL, of Murchison, and the inflicting of injuries on her husband (Thomas BELL), the motorman (John RAE), and the conductor (Arthur PERKINS). The Brooklyn line leaves Upper Willis street at the foot of Nairn street, and proceeds over a sharp incline to the suburban area on the hilltop southward of the city. While descending this incline one of the big new palace cars left the track at a point near the foot of the Nairn street plantation, and after travelling about fifteen yards, in the coarse of which the under carriage was ripped off, it toppled over the embankment, which, at this point, is about 5ft in height. Mrs Bell was, it is supposed from the nature of her injuries, killed outright; but it was over an hour before her body could bo taken from under the car, which is of great weight, and could only be shifted by the use of powerful jacks. Her husband was slightly injured, and was removed to a neighboring house. Rae and Perkins were taken to the hospital suffering from cuts and contusions. Mr and Mrs Bell were on a holiday, and were returning to their home from Christchurch and other places in the south. They had taken a trip in to view the city from Brooklyn heights. For some time after the Brooklyn section was opened for traffic the City Council only had a permit to run what are known as box cars, the lightest cars on the city tracks, up this incline, and only twenty-four people were allowed to ride each trip. The traffic, however, increased so much that the Public Works Department lately, after making tests, gave a permit for the heavier cars to run on the section. The palace cars, one of which came to grief, each carry sixty passengers. It is supposed that the car ran away from the brakes. EVENING STAR, ISSUE 12653, 4 MAY 1907

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1907/9689 Bell Eliza 44Y

Motor Car Fatality. (Per Press Association.) Invercargill, December 26. The holidays' were marred to some extent by a motor car accident near Wallacetown, eight miles from Invercargill, on Christmas Day. A motor party of three ladies and two children, driven by Mr R. J. Cumming, was returning from a trip to Riverton. At the turn leading to the bridge over the New River, Cumming — an inexperienced driver — saw he was not taking the turn properly, and to avoid crashing into the bridge, turned off, intending to run the car parallel with the river bank. He lost his head, however, and did not turn sufficiently, with the result that the car shot straight over the eight feet bank, and landed squarely on its wheels in the stream. Fortunately the water was not deep where the car landed, and the occupants, who had jumped or fallen clear of the car, scrambled to it, with, the exception of one child and a young lady named Lumsden, who floated down the stream to deep water. Cumming waded and rescued the child, but as he was unable to swim he could not reach the young lady, who gradually sank and was drowned in sight of the party. The body of the unfortunate girl, who was 21 years of age, was recovered two hours later. Her veil was twisted round her face, which suggests that it obscured her sight when the accident occurred, causing her to struggle towards the deep water instead of the shallow water. The car was afterwards hoisted by a derrick out of the stream. Cumming had bought the car only a fortnight ago, and this was his first long venture in it without a tutor. At an inquest to-day the jury found that deceased met her death by drowning as the result of a motor-car accident due to the want of experience of the driver. They added a rider that the approach was one of peculiar difficulty, and that Cumming did all in his power to avert an accident. In their rider the jury drew the attention of the authorities to the necessity of permission to drive motor cars being restricted to certificated drivers, and also pointed out to the County Council that the approach to the bridge should be made safer. OAMARU MAIL, VOLUME XXXIV, ISSUE 9723, 27 DECEMBER 1907

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1907/7532 Lumsden Christina Agnes 20Y


THE MOTOR-CAR SMASH - DEATH OF MR MERRETT. As the result of injuries received in the Lincoln Road motor-car accident of Saturday week, Mr S. R. Merrett, shops manager of the Christchurch Meat Company, died at the hospital at five o'clock on Sunday morning. It will be remembered that on the night of February 22, Mr Merrett had summoned Dr William DIAMOND to attend his wife, and while they were driving along Lincoln Road the motor-car, in being manoeuvred to avoid a straying horse near Clarence Road, collided with an electric car, and was crushed against a tramway pole. Both occupants were thrown out, Mr Merrett being rendered unconscious, while Dr Diamond, who was driving, was severely shaken. Mr Merrett lingered in a semi-conscious condition for a week, suffering from a fractured skull. Yesterday, before the District Coroner (Mr H. W. Bishop), an inquest was opened, when the evidence of Dr Crooke house surgeon at tho Hospital, was taken. He stated that Mr Merrett had been admitted shortly before 11 p.m. on February 22, unconscious, and bleeding from the left ear. The left eye was contused, and there was a lacerated wound, over an inch long, on the left side of the head. His breathing was laboured. He had lingered until Sunday morning without becoming completely conscious. An examination of the body showed an extensive fracture of the base of the skull, extending on the left side to the vault, inflammation of the brain at both sides, and a laceration with hemorrhage of the internal right side of the brain. The injuries had been the cause of death. On the application off Detective Bishop, who appeared for the police, an adjournment of the inquest was granted until 7.30 p.m. on Thursday at the Courthouse, so that inquiries into the matter could be completed. STAR, ISSUE 9174, 2 MARCH 1908

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1908/1864 Merrett Sydney Raymond 43Y

In the fatal motor car accident in Victoria [Australia] whereby an ex-resident of New Zealand in Mr A. Z. Clarke lost his life, the driver of the car (Hall) had both his arms broken. The accident was caused by the wheels skidding, the car becoming unmanageable and running into a fence. The car was found in a paddock alongside the road, and had apparently turned over two or three times. OTAGO WITNESS, ISSUE 2828, 27 MAY 1908
Alfred Z Clarke - BIRTH c1872 - DEATH 15 May 1908 - BURIAL St. Kilda Cemetery, St Kilda, Port Phillip City, Victoria, Australia
The Australasian Sat 30 May 1908 Page 64 Family Notices - CLARK [sic] - On the 15th May, accidentally killed (result of a motor accident at Diggers' Rest). Alfred Z CLARK, beloved husband of Elsie Clark, of Enderby, Queen's Road, Melbourne, aged 36 years.

A private message received from Timaru to-day states that Miss Selby [sic], the victim of Thursday's motor-car accident, died at the Hospital to-day. OAMARU MAIL, VOLUME XXXV, ISSUE 9986, 31 OCTOBER 1908
A Press Association wire states that Miss Jessie Selbie, of Timaru, met with an accident last Thursday, which subsequently proved fatal. She was thrown from a trap in Stratford street, and in the act of rising from the ground was run over by a motor car. She died on Saturday and an inquest was held yesterday. Miss Selbie is a sister of Mr Daniel Selby, of Palmerston North, who received word of his sister's death on Saturday. The family are very old residents of Timaru, having resided in the district for upwards of forty years. MANAWATU TIMES, VOLUME LXV, ISSUE 555, 2 NOVEMBER 1908

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1908/8433 Selbie Jessie Elizabeth 38Y

[The North Island's first fatal road accident ?]
THE BULLS MOTOR ACCIDENT.(By Our Special Reporter.) BULLS, November 2. Mr Lyn McKELVIE's evidence at the inquest on Mr Worthington, the victim of the motor-car accident last week, was as follows: He was in Feilding on Mondav, October 26. He knew deceased, who asked if witness would give him a ride to Bulls. He agreed to do so, and they reached Sandon about 5.30 p.m. They were detained there by a hailstorm, and had three small glasses of beer and lemonade each. Witness had had a similar drink in Feilding. He was perfectly sober. He gave a man named McIntyre a lift from the Sandon Hotel to his house, and then proceeded to Bulls. As they wore approaching a culvert, deceased told witness to look out, as he was driving the car slightly on the side of the road to escape the wheel ruts. Witness told him it was alright, but after they had proceeded another chain deceased, without a word of warning, grabbed one of the stays that hold the steering wheel to the steering pillar, and was pulling it towards him. This pulled the car off the road. Witness tried to recover control of the car, and could not do so. The car bumped into a hole on the side of the road, and witness seemed to gain some control, and thought he would easily made the road before coming to the culvert. He said to deceased, "For God's sake, let go." The wheels of the car went over the edge of the culvert, and deceased was thrown out. The steering wheel, being released from deceased's grip, came round suddenly, and turned the car into the other side of the road. Witness was getting out of the car when it stopped, and was thrown down. He called out for deceased, but received no reply, and on searching found him lying on the bed of the creek. His lamps were each 2500 candle-power. The liquor deceased had taken had not affected him in any way. The car was travelling at about 26 miles an hour. As stated yesterday, a verdict of "Accidental death" was returned. MANAWATU STANDARD, VOLUME XLI, ISSUE 8716, 3 NOVEMBER 1908

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1908/7002 Worthington Laurence Arthur Robert 35Y

And a few months earlier
Motor Accident near Bulls. MARTON, April 14. A serious motor accident occurred to Mr Lynn McKelvie's motor car, with seven occupants, while going home from the Bulls sale yesterday afternoon. The car had reached a point some distance beyond the Parewanui School, when a horse, jumping from a fence, came in collision with it and capsized it, the whole of the; occupants of the car being more or less severely injured. Dr. Watson was telephoned for, and Dr. Martin, from Palmerston, arrived shortly after. An ambulance was sent for, and two of those injured were taken to the Palmerston Hospital, the other sufferers being attended to on the spot. Among the occupants, besides L. McKelvie, were Messrs AMON (2), J. SIM, ATKINSON, and two others. Sam Amon had his thigh broken, and Bert Amon had his ankle broken. The others escaped more lightly. The car was badly injured, and the horse killed. WANGANUI HERALD, VOLUME XXXXII, ISSUE 12441, 14 APRIL 1908

A FATAL MOTOR CYCLE ACCIDENT. [Press Association] CHRISTCHURCH, last night. An inquest was held to-night touching the death of C. G. Jones, who was killed, this morning through being thrown from a motor cycle at Lancaster Park. Stephen. Henry Webb, caretaker on the Park, said he saw Jones riding a motor cycle on the track about 11 a.m. Jones had not gone round more than three times when he ran into the fence. He was thrown into the air and fell on the asphel track. Jones was travelling no faster than fifteen miles an hour at the time of the occurrence. Witness thought the front tyre burst and Jones put his left hand down to turn off the taps. This apparently caused him to lose control of the cycle and it ran into the fence. Joseph Molloy, a youth of fourteen said that he witnessed the accident and gave it as his opinion that Jones was travelling at the rate of 30 miles an hour. Constable Andrews the nature of the injuries sustained by the deceased and said that death must have resulted instantaneously. The brother and partner of deceased in answer to the coroner, said deceased had been training for a race got up practically for advertising purposes. He did not consider Lancaster Park track unsafe for motor cycling. His own theory was that his brother must have been stooping down to adjust the mechanism on the machine in order to get more pace out of it, and did not notice in time that he had come to the corner. The tyre might not have burst until the accident occurred. Station Sergeant Johnston explained that Jones was training for a race. A contest was to be held on the Cashmere Hills last Saturday, but the police warned those intending to take part that they, would prosecute if they did so. The Coroner gave a verdict that deceased had met his death by accident through being thrown from a motor cycle. BUSH ADVOCATE, VOLUME XXI, ISSUE 150, 24 DECEMBER 1908

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1908/8327 Jones Clement Goodwin 33Y


THE FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. DR. FULLERTON ABSOLVED. (Press Association). Invercargill, Last night. At the inquest on Ellen Mary Sofles, the child who was knocked down by Dr. Fullerton's motor car on Friday, the medical evidence showed that the child had sustained a broken rib and indicated that death was due to syncope, the result of shook. The evidence also showed that the woman who was with the child was almost blind. The Coroner found death was accidental, no blame being attachable to Dr. Fullerton. MANAWATU TIMES, VOLUME LXV, ISSUE 671, 22 MARCH 1909
Invercargill Cemetery - Burials - SOULES Ellen Mary, infant, bur 22 March 1909

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. CAPTAIN PAVITT KILLED. [Special to the Star.] CHRISTCHURCH, October 14. A shocking motor car accident occurred yesterday afternoon, which resulted in the death of Captain W. O. Pavitt, of the Civil Service Rifles. Captain Pavitt had been taking part in the military manoeuvres at Yaldhurst, and at the conclusion of the proceedings was returning to the city in a motor car, driven by Mr W. A. Humphreys (son of Mr Humphreys, of Fletcher, Humphreys, and Co., the well-known wine and spirit merchants). Captain Salter was sitting in front with Mr Humphreys, while Captain Pavitt and Lieutenant Guthrie occupied the rear seats, Lieutenant Matthews sitting on the floor of the tonneau. All went well until the West Belt had been crossed. About this point the car appears to have got into a patch of loose gravel, the momentum causing the vehicle to skid sharply to the left, and before Mr Humphreys could regain proper command of the car it had swung into one of the cast-iron tramway poles. The front of the car in turning outwards just cleared the pole, but the rear portion collided with it with a terrible crash, which completely wrecked the tonneau and tore off the lefthand side back wheel. Captain Pavitt, who was sitting on the side nearest the pole, received the full force of the impact on his temple, and his head was fearfully crushed. Death, of course, was instantaneous. The occupants of the oar were all thrown out, Lieutenant Guthrie sustaining an injury to his ankle, and Lieutenant Matthews having one of his hands cut. The car overturned, and shot along fully twenty yards before coming to a standstill. It was almost completely wrecked, the tonneau being cut in two, all the woodwork splintered, and the metal portions of the fittings and machinery twisted out of shape. Mr B. Moorhouse was quickly on the scene, but could only pronounce Captain Pavitt to be dead. Some idea of the tremendous force of the collision may be gained from the fact that the ornamental cast-iron work at the foot of the tramway pole was extensively shattered. The other occupants of the car, in view of the whole circumstance, had a most miraculous escape. The body of the deceased officer was convoyed to the morgue in a motor car. The late Captain Pavitt, who was an old and valued servant of the North Canterbury Education Board, was one of the first members of the Civil Service Rifles, having joined in 1901 at the inception of the corps. He entered as a private, and by steady application to duty worked himself up through all the non-commissioned grades until he attained commissioned rank some six years ago. On the resignation of Captain F. M. B. Fisher (who is now one of the Wellington City members of Parliament), the late Mr Pavitt was chosen captain of the corps. He was held in the most affectionate regard by his men, and was probably one of the most popular military officers in Canterbury. The deceased, who was about forty years of age, and unmarried, was one of the earliest members of the Amateur Rowing Club, an old member of the Y.M.C.A., and a capable cricketer. He was a member of the old Lancaster Park Club, and for some time had played with the Linwood First grade team. The sad occurrence caused a profound shock among all branches of the volunteer service last evening, and in consequence of the fatality the arrangements for Colonel Hawkins's address to the officers on the work of the day which was to be given last evening, were cancelled. The offices of the Education Board were closed to-day as a mark of respect to the memory of the late Mr Pavitt. EVENING STAR, ISSUE 14188, 14 OCTOBER 1909
Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch - Captain William Ostell PAVITT, died 13 October 1909 aged 39 years.


Fatal Motor Bicycle Accident. The accident which happened to Whero Rapana (better known as W. Robin) on Saturday evening last, resulted in the death of the victim at 9 o'clock this morning, at Nurse Nairn's private hospital. Robin was a prominent athlete and was very popular with Europeans and Maoris. An inquest will be held by Mr McCarthy, S.M., at 3.45 this afternoon. HASTINGS STANDARD, VOLUME XIV, ISSUE 4458, 11 MAY 1910

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. Wellington, August 10. Samuel Smith, aged 21, woodcarver, who lost control of a motor bicycle on Adelaide road yesterday, died in the hospital to-day. The machine collided with a telegraph pole and Smith's skull was fractured. HASTINGS STANDARD, VOLUME XIV, ISSUE 4534, 10 AUGUST 1910

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1910/5214 Smith Samuel 21Y

FATAL MOTOR & COACH ACCIDENT. THE DRIVER KILED. ANOTHER MAN SERIOUSLY INJURED. NEW PLYMOUTH, Wednesday. An accident happened to the motor coach plying between New Plymouth and Opunake, near Okura this morning. The driver, Albert Stenson [sic] was killed, and his brother seriously injured. The coach had been recently imported by the Co-operative Transport Company for the carriage of mails and passengers, and Stenson came out from Home with it. The steering gear gave way while descending a hill, and the coach went over a bank, overturning and pinning the driver in a swamp and suffocating him. NELSON EVENING MAIL, VOLUME XLV, ISSUE XLV, 16 NOVEMBER 1910

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1910/6593 Stinson Albert 29Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. [By Telegraph — Press Association.] INVERCARGILL. Wednesday. A distressing tragedy occurred at Woodlands this evening, resulting in the death of Dr Green, of Woodlands. The doctor was motoring across the railway when he somehow failed to see the train coming to town from the Gore Show, and he came into collision with it. Dr Green was killed, and his companion in the car, Miss McLeod, was stunned and badly shaken. Dr Green, who had previously lived at Winton, recently went to Woodlands, where he had bought a farm, and was also practising his profession. WAIRARAPA DAILY TIMES, VOLUME LXII, ISSUE 9855, 8 DECEMBER 1910

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1910/7751 Green Joseph 41Y

FATAL MOTOR BIKE ACCIDENT [per PRESS ASSOCIATION. COPYRIGHT] ASHBURTON, Dec. 28. A local builder named George Smith was riding a motor cycle when he collided with the extra express train from Christchurch for Timaru, which had just left Ashburton about a quarter of a mile below the station and sustained severe injuries including broken ribs, severe cuts on temple and back of head ,and abrasions all over his body. He is progressing favourably.
The injuries to George Smith, who collided with a train yesterday, were more serious than at first thought and he died in the hospital at 10 o’clock last night. Deceased, who was a member of the firm of James Smith and Sons, sawmillers and building contractors, was 29 years of age and leaves a widow and a child. ASHBURTON, Dec. 28. At the inquest this morning touching the death of George Martin Smith, the coroner returned a verdict that deceased had died through injuries accidentally received through colliding with a train. The engine driver of the train, who is an experienced official, stated, in the witness box, that motor cyclists were a great trial to engine drivers as they repeatedly rushed over crossings in front of trains and thought it a joke to clear the engine by a narrow margin, thus causing men on the engine a great deal of needless anxiety. These remarks did not refer to the present case. WEST COAST TIMES, 29 DECEMBER 1910

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1910/7274 Smith George Martin 29Y


FATAL MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT. AT WALLACETOWN RAILWAY CROSSING. DR FULLARTON AND MISS MARTIN KILLED. THREE OTHERS INJURED. A distressing motor car accident occurred at the Wallacetown railway crossing on Wednesday morning. A car driven by Dr Fullarton ran into the Lumsden Invercargill train, was caught between two of the carriages, and carried to the cattle stops, where it was completely wrecked. The car was occupied by Dr Fullarton, Miss Martin (the housekeeper), Nurse Martin (the latter's sister from Timaru), and Nurse Martin's two nieces — Phyllis Howe (five years old), of Wellington, and Dora Martin (13 years), of Timaru. The doctor and Dora Martin sustained fractured sculls and they died shortly afterwards. Phyllis Howe has a broken collarbone, Nurse Martin suffered mostly from shock, and her sister (the housekeeper) sustained cuts and bruises on the head and arms. The latter three will recover. Dr Fullarton had set out from Invercargill with the intention of attending the Wairio races, where two of his horses had been entered. Two trains were due to cross at Wallacetown Junction, which is five miles from Invercargill, and as the down train from Invercargill approached the motor car came down the road, the railway crossing having to be negotiated. The railway line in question is in a small cutting, and is hidden from view by a lengthy plantation of trees. Dr Fullarton, whose sight is said to have been somewhat defective, evidently saw the up train standing in the station, but was apparently unaware that the down train was running in. It was not until he was a chain from the railway crossing that he heard the approaching train, and although he jambed the brakes on hard the motor car and the train reached the crossing at the same time. The motor car struck the side of the engine, and was carried into the adjacent cattle stop and smashed into fragments. The sufferers were promptly conveyed to Invercargill, but the girl died on the way down in the train and Dr Fullarton died a quarter of an hour after admission into the Invercargill Hospital. The speed of the car is said to have been from 25 to 30 miles an hour whilst the train was running at a rate of 12 to 15 miles an hour. LAKE WAKATIP MAIL, ISSUE 2902, 17 JANUARY 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/3447 Fullarton James Alexander 42Y
1911/3448 Martin Florence Dora 13Y

FATAL MOTOR CYCLE ACCIDENT. [UNITED PRESS ASSOCIATION.] Christchurch, March 24. Mr Wesley McKinney, son of Mr McKinney, of New Brighton, met with a fatal accident at the Bank of New Zealand corner to-day. He was riding over the crossing on a motor cycle at 8.45 a.m., and tried to pass a furniture waggon belonging to the New Zealand Express Coy. When level with the waggon, one wheel skidded on the tramway line, and the other wheel struck the hind leg of one of the horses, and McKinney was thrown off the machine. His head came violently into contact with the rails, and he sustained a fracture of the skull. He was taken to the hospital, where he died shortly before 3 p.m. Those who saw the accident state that both the cyclist and the driver of the van were on the right side, and that the accident was caused by the wheel skidding on the tramway line. COLONIST, VOLUME LIII, ISSUE 13064, 25 MARCH 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/3186 McKinney Wesley Graham 22Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. On Saturday night at about 10.45 p.m. a taxicab owned by Messrs G. W. Woods and Co., and driven by Mr E. Chall's was returning from Lorne farm with two passengers, Messrs Murphy and Webb. When opposite Brodrick’s a few chains from the Waihopai bridge, the taxi slowed down to allow a motor cycle to pass, and almost immediately afterwards the front wheel came into collision with a bicycle ridden by a man named Arthur William Mitchell. One of the legs of the unfortunate man got caught in the wheel of the taxi-cab which was in consequence thrown out of its course. The taxi was steered clear of the roads and pulled up as promptly as possible, and Mitchell was picked up and conveyed to the hospital, where it was found that one of his legs had been broken in two places, and that his skull had been fractured He never rallied, and died in less than half an hour, after being admitted. The taxicab sustained no damage, but the bicycle was completely wrecked. Mitchell, who leaves a widow and six young children resided at Gladstone, and was employed by Messrs W. Lewis and Co., drapers. It may be mentioned that the driver of the taxi-cab did all that could be done in having the injured man conveyed to the hospital as quickly as possible and immediately on being made aware of the accident Mr G. Woods informed the police and he and Mr Murphy, one of the passengers also undertook the task of breaking the news to the bereaved relatives. WESTERN STAR, 2 MAY 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/5257 Mitchell Arthur William 38Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. AN OLD MAN KILLED. (Per Press Association). WELLINGTON, July 10 Mr Frederick Hunt, aged 60 years, for many years a well known nursery man at Marton, but recently residing in Wellington, was knocked down by a motor car on Lambton Quay this evening, and received such serious injuries that he died subsequently in the hospital. He was a widower and leaves a grown-up family. GREY RIVER ARGUS, 11 JULY 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/1157 Hunt Frederick 60Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. WELL-KNOWN WAIRARAPA SETTLER KILLED. (Per United Press Association.) MASTERTON, December 2. A well-known settler of Greytown, Mr John Cotter, was motoring from Palmerston North to-day when about five miles to the north of Masterton the car became unmanageable when descending a hill and went over an embankment. Mr Cotter jumped from the car and fell on his head, breaking his neck, and one arm and sustaining scalp wounds. Death was instantaneous. Deceased leaves a widow and one daughter. Mrs White, of Porangahau. WANGANUI HERALD, VOLUME XXXXVI, ISSUE 13548, 4 DECEMBER 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/8064 Cotter John 59Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. Auckland, Dec. 20. John Alexander McConnell was riding in a taxi cab, driven by a man named Batty [Rhodes Battye] along the Beach road when they met two horses which were being driven. The driver of the taxi states they were unattended and to avoid colliding with them, he turned the car sharply with the result that it struck a tramway pole. McConnell jumped or was thrown out of the car and conveyed to the hospital unconscious. He died there two hours later. McConnell was aged 36 and employed as an accountant. He leaves a wife and family of young children. HASTINGS STANDARD, VOLUME II, ISSUE 8, 20 DECEMBER 1911

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1911/7441 McConnell John Alexander 36Y


FATAL MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT (By Telegraph.— Press Association.) OAMARU, this day. William Smith, 55, was run over by a motor car on the North-road, on Saturday, and died this morning. The deceased was a butcher at the Evline works, and was returning from work with two companions, when the toot of a motor horn was heard. The other two jumped clear of the car, but the deceased, who was blind in one eye, jumped in front of the motor car, which was on the right hand side of the road, and going at a normal pace. AUCKLAND STAR, VOLUME XLIII, ISSUE 7, 8 JANUARY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/470 Smith William 55Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. Per Press Association.) CHRISTCHURCH, Jan. 21. An inquest was opened to-day into the death of Thomas Ryan, who died, at the hospital last night from the effects of injuries received from a motor car running into him in Cathedral Square, about five o'clock yesterday evening. The coroner said that the police were not satisfied that due care was used in driving the car, and required time in order to make further inquiries before the whole matter was placed before the jury. F. L. Scott, medical superintendent of the hospital, stated that on examination of deceased when admitted, witness found evidence of a fracture of the spine in the lower cervical region. Deceased had also broken his left ankle. Ryan took suddenly worse about 8 p.m., his breathing becoming very weak, and he died about 8.15 as the result of his injuries. To the jury: Witness saw no signs of liquor on deceased. Maurice Buckles Ryan, labourer, of Sydenham, stated that deceased was his father, and was 64 years of age. He was in good health, and very active for his years. He was accustomed for many years to be about town and in the midst of traffic. His hearing was not impaired, and he was not blind or in any way infirm. At this stage the inquest was adjourned till Wednesday. MANAWATU STANDARD, VOLUME XLI, ISSUE 9179, 22 JANUARY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/371 Ryan Thomas 64Y

By Telegraph.—Press Association. Auckland, This Day. A fatal motor car accident occurred at 5 o’clock yesterday. Mrs Prouse [sic], of Wanganui, and Mrs Jordan, wife of the Mayor of Tauranga, were crossing the road when a car, driven by Garnett Campbell, knocked them down. Mrs Prouse was run over and killed, and Mrs Jordan thrown aside with a broken arm, three broken ribs and a cut head. She was taken to the hospital, and is in a serious condition. WAIKATO ARGUS, VOLUME XXXII, ISSUE 4948, 9 MARCH 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/4240 Prowse Jeannie Isobel 68Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. RAILWAY CLERK KILLED AT LONGBURN. Per Press Association. Palmerston N,, April 18. A serious motor accident, which ended fatally, occurred at Longburn, four miles from Palmerston, late last night, whereby a railway clerk named FIELD lost his life. Field was chatting with Stationmaster Downes in the road opposite the railway station when he was knocked down by a motor car coming towards the town and thrown right off the road. Dr. Martin went down in a car to the scene of the accident, and after temporarily attending to the injured man brought him to a private hospital, where he died this morning. He sustained a fracture at the base of the skull and bruises in various parts of the body. He was bleeding profusely from the ears, nose and mouth. Later. Percy Field, the victim of the motor car accident, has been in Longburn only nine months, having come from Waiwera South, where his parents reside. A statement was made by Stationmaster Downes to the effect that neither he nor the victim heard or noticed the car till it was right on them. Field was carried about 30 paces. Downes cannot account for the accident. J. W. Milner was the driver of the car, and he had three passengers. In a statement to the police they declared that they were travelling slowly, having first passed the railway crossing. The horn sounded and the car was on the right side of the road. They also cannot account for the accident. They found the car suddenly on the two men, one of whom jumped right in front. RANGITIKEI ADVOCATE AND MANAWATU ARGUS, VOLUME XXXVI, ISSUE 10346, 18 APRIL 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/790 Field Percy Richmond 26Y

WAIPAWA MOTOR FATILITY. FURTHER DETAILS. Further particulars of the fatal motor accident (briefly reported in our last issue), which occurred on the Waipawa-Waipukurau road yesterday, by which two Maoris, a man and woman named Hini RENE and Muri MURI, respectively, lost their lives, show that the car was driven by a young Maori named Matene Kuka ROPIHA and was proceeding to the pa situated on the southern side of Waipawa. At the plantation near the railway bridge there is a sharp turn and at this spot the car left the road, the left hand wheels dropping over an embankment for about two feet. To avoid a culvert, an endeavour was made to bring the car back on to the road, but the sudden turn caused it to capsize, and turn turtle several times until it crashed into a tree, which held it fast. The driver was thrown heavily, and rendered unconscious, but subsequently it was found that his injuries were not serious. When he came to his senses, he found the two Maori whose names are given above, had been killed; their necks having been broken when the car upset. A Maori girl [Polly TIPENE] who was also in the car escaped unhurt. The dead bodies were taken to the pa where an inquest was held this afternoon. Both victims of the accident were visitors from Wairoa.HASTINGS STANDARD, VOLUME II, ISSUE 122, 8 MAY 1912 and NEW ZEALAND HERALD, VOLUME XLIX, ISSUE 14990, 11 MAY 1912

TRACTION ENGINE'S FALL. THIRTY FEET THROUGH BRIDGE. DRIVER KILLED: MATE SCALDED. Hastings, Friday. The Hawke's Bay Timber Company's traction engine, when drawing two trucks of gravel this afternoon, under contract with the County Council, broke through a bridge on the Havelock-Mangaterere Road, turned turtle, and fell 30ft into the creek below. The driver. R. E. TURPIN, aged 40 years, and is married man with five children, residing at Point Ahuriri, was killed instantly, top of his head being crushed between cab and the bridge timber. The deceased's mate, Lawrence WILLIAMS, of Rissington, fell into the water, beneath the engine, and remained there until the steam had cleared. He was scalded about the face and legs, but was not otherwise seriously injured. He was removed to the Napier Hospital. NEW ZEALAND HERALD, VOLUME XLIX, ISSUE 14990, 11 MAY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/1432 Turpin Ernest 36Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. CARTERTON, May 16. Owen Arthur CADWALLADER, who was severely injured in a motor-car accident at Black Bridge, Carterton, on Friday night last, has died as the result of the burns received. Deceased, who was 37 years of age, leaves a widow and three children. He was a prominent footballer, and frequently represented Wairarapa. TARANAKI HERALD, VOLUME LX, ISSUE 143793, 17 MAY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/4518 Cadwallader Owen Arthur 37Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. Auckland, May 23. A taxi, driven by William Curtis, and containing four others, collided with a tram car at Epsom late last night. Thomas Noonan, a single man, aged 25, a resident of Parnell, and Fred Cole, were seriously injured. The collision was caused by a wheel of the motor skidding. The tram caught the back wheel of the motor, and wrecked the lower part of the motor car away. Noonan suffered shocking injuries to his head, and was extricated with difficulty from the debris. He died almost immediately. Cole had a thigh injured, and was conveyed to the hospital. The motor car was practically ruined.STRATFORD EVENING POST, VOLUME XXXIII, ISSUE 22, 23 MAY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/639 Noonan Thomas Joseph 21Y

FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. NELSON, July 8. Dr James HUDSON was killed on Spooner's Range this morning. The car skidded and fell over a bank. Mrs Hudson, who accompanied her husband, was uninjured. EVENING STAR, ISSUE 14922, 8 JULY 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/6439 Hudson James 58Y

A FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT. CHRISTCHURCH. November 22. Mr. James HENDERSON, of Dunsandel, who was injured in a motor accident on Wednesday, when returning from the Banks Peninsula Show at Little River, died at the Hospital to-night. Deceased was a prominent farmer, vice president of the Canterbury A. and P. Association, and a member of the Canterbury Hospital Board. SOUTHLAND TIMES, ISSUE 17203, 23 NOVEMBER 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/2180 Henderson James 49Y

MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT. IN SEETON STREET. A FATAL RESULT. MR JAMES ESLER KILLED. Yesterday afternoon a, sensation was created in the vicinity of Sefton and Hewlings Streets when the news of a shocking motor-car accident spread quickly amongst the community. The accident occurred at the foot of the steep grade at the intersection of Sefton and Hewlings Streets. Mr J. ESLER, a, well-known farmer who resides about a mile and a half north of Pleasant Point, was driving three friends, Mr W. WALL, and Mr and Mrs SUTHERLAND junr., to the Point. He left the main street, and went via Sefton Street with the intention of going to LeCren Street, en route for home. When passing the junction of Hewlings and Sefton Streets, one of the occupants of the car called the attention of the driver to the fact that the shortest way to go would be down Hewlings Street. Mr Esler suddenly applied the brake and wheeled the car round, but it had such a pace after going down the steep incline as to cause the vehicle to skid for twenty yards and, then topple over. Mr and Mrs Sutherland, who were in the back were thrown clear, while Mr Wall received a very painful fall, which resulted in one of his wrists being broken. Mr Esler, however, was shockingly injured. He was found in a most painful position, with the full weight of the car across his head, which was very seriously injured. There were very few people about at the time of the accident (3.45), but skilled aid was quickly forthcoming. Within a few minutes a crowd had assembled, and Mr Esler, who was groaning under excruciating agony, was released and removed to Nurse McArthur's private hospital, Mr Wall also being attended to. Mr and Mrs Sutherland were married last week, and were returning from their honeymoon. Messrs Adams, Ltd., through the courtesy of Mr Harry Goodwin, very kindly placed a couple of his firm's cars at the disposal of those concerned, and a great deal of helpful work was performed by all who assembled. Mr Esler's car, of which the hoods, lamps and wheels were somewhat battered, was not very seriously damaged; and it was-towed to Adams's garage. On inquirv at a late hour last night it was ascertained that Mr Esler had some of his ribs and one shoulder blade broken in addition to the injuries to his head. Just before going to press we are informed that Mr Esler had succumbed to his injuries. TIMARU HERALD, VOLUME XCVI, ISSUE 14913, 4 DECEMBER 1912

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1912/8328 Esler James 51Y


OPUNAKE RESIDENT KILLED. By Telegraph—Press Association. Hawera, Last night. A fatal accident occurred at the Normanby railway station crossing this afternoon when a motor car driven by Mr. Frederick Butterworth, of Opunake, with whom was Mr. John YOUNG, also of Opunake, was run into by the special train from New Plymouth. Young was killed instantaneously. Butterworth was seriously injured and was taken to the Hawera Hospital. Young is a single man, aged 34, and a blacksmith. The motor car was smashed to pieces. TARANAKI DAILY NEWS, VOLUME LV, ISSUE 191, 2 JANUARY 1913 DEATH AT RAILWAY CROSSING - MORE WARNING FROM TRAINS. Hawera, Thursday. At the adjourned inquest this afternoon concerning the death of John Young, who was killed in a motor car collision with a train at Normanby, the jury returned a verdict of accidental death. A recommendation was added that the engine drivers should give more warning when approaching crossings. Frederick BUTTERWORTH, the driver of the car, who was injured at the same time, is still in the hospital. A doctor's certificate was produced, showing that he was unable to give evidence, and that his memory was an absolute blank as regards the occurrence. NEW ZEALAND HERALD, VOLUME L, ISSUE 15197, 10 JANUARY 1913

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1913/917 Young John 36Y

A distressing motor accident occurred, on Saturday evening [25 January 1913] near Kingsdown, resulting in the death of a well-known business man, Mr Charles Herbert GUTHRIE, manager of the Waimate branch of the National Mortgage and Agency Company. Mr J. McFARLANE, who recently purchased the Grassy Hills Estate, near Redcliff, left Timaru in a new Cadillac car. With him were his two daughters, who were in the back seat with Mr E. B. Harrison, owner of the Vale Terrace Estate, Waihao Downs.
Mr Guthrie was seated beside Mr McFarlane, who was driving. They left town shortly before 5 p.m.,. and everything went well until they reached Normanby Creek. When crossing a little stone bridge one of the front tyres burst and caused the car to swerve to the left side of the road into a rut beside the bank of a low cutting, and then on to the sloping bank, which caused the car to capsize. The occupants were apparently first thrown clear out of the car, which, as it turned over, fell upon the three men, pinning them down, while the two girls were fortunately thrown clear.
Helpers arrived quickly and lifted, the car, but Mr Guthrie died a few minutes after being released, the rod that supports the hood having been driven into his chest. Mr McFarlane was very seriously hurt, having a leg and several ribs broken, and being hurt also about the head. Mr Harrison was pinned down by the back of the car and was crushed across the body. The escape of the Misses McFarlane without serious injury was almost miraculous.
Two doctors soon arrived, one from Timaru, and Mr R. H. Hodges fetched one from St Andrew's. They attended the injured men and sent word for the ambulance brigade. In a short time the members of that division, with two motor-cars and stretchers, arrived and conveyed the injured men to the hospital.
The gully in which the accident occurred, is one of the most dangerous grades in the district. On the north side the grade is steep and the ascent from the bridge on the other side is also steep, and at a sharp angle with the road or bridge. The road is in fairly good order and plainly showed how the car had skidded turning over. It is generally recognised that to climb the hill a car must have some "way" on, but Mr McFarlane was not travelling at an exceptionally high speed.
An inquest was opened yesterday and adjourned. Mr Guthrie's remains are to be sent to Dunedin to-day. He was a native of Dunedin, the son of Mr Henry Guthrie, and a brother of the Rev E. G. Guthrie. Mr Guthrie was for many years connected with the grain insurance department of the National Mortgage and Agency Company at Timaru. When the firm established a branch at Waimate, about twelve years ago, he was placed in the responsible position of manager, which he retained and filled with credit up to the time of his sad end. He was a keen business man, and took an active part in the Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Association. The National Mortgage and Agency Company loses an enthusiastic and capable officer, whose death, is widely regretted, and much sympathy is felt for his wife and three young children. STAR, ISSUE 10678, 27 JANUARY 1913

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1913/2251 Guthrie Charles Herbert 35Y


[Is this the first death of a woman driver in New Zealand ?] A motor car accident occurred at Mangorei [New Plymouth] this morning, as the result of which Mrs. Walker of Kaponga lost her life. It appears that Mrs. Walker, together with her husband and two lady friends were journeying from Kaponga to Pungarehu, Mrs. Walker herself driving the car. When at that part of the Junction Road known as Marsh’s corner she apparently mistook a track right on the Corner for the road and then turning suddenly the car capsized. Mrs. Walker was killed, instantly and one of the other lady occupants received injuries to her head, but the others escaped with a severe shaking. The car suffered little damage. TARANAKI HERALD, VOLUME LXIV, ISSUE 144978, 3 MAY 1916

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1916/340 Walker Teresa 42Y


FATAL ACCIDENT. MOTOR LORRY OVERTURNED. A motor car accident occurred near the Hawera racecourse about one o clock this afternoon, resulting in the death of Mr Richard HARRIS, of Normanby, a popular member of the Hawera Electric Light Co.'s staff. From particulars available it appears that Mr Harris was driving the company's light motor lorry into town from Normanby, and when opposite Mr Pill's residence left the road to pass a motor car in front of him. When regaining the road proper the car by some means, at present unaccounted for, capsized, throwing Mr Harris to the ground clear of the vehicle. When picked up Mr Harris was dead. The car, which turned a complete somersault, and had the bonnet facing Normanby, was somewhat damaged. The deceased was a married man with a grown-up family. An inquest will be held. HAWERA & NORMANBY STAR, VOLUME LXXVIII, ISSUE LXXVIII, 12 JUNE 1919

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/Age at Death
1919/3813 Harris Richard 43Y

Return To HOME